I just got back from climbing up huashan - brilliant mountian. It was amazing. The mission buddy and his wife I am staying with are getting ready to go to America so have been busy with her Visa and all that. They weren't able to go with me so I was just one for the climb. I took a bus for two hours out to the base of the mountain and the started climbing at about 5.30. It really was brilliant. The whole hike is all layed out with a stone path. Much of the hike is stairs that have been carved into the side of the mountain. Seriously vertical stairs with chains on the sides to hold onto as you try and hug the mountain. I got to the top at about 10.30 and paid about 7 dollars for bed for the night. I watched the sun rise in the morning and then hiked to some other areas and made my way down. I met a lot of cool people along the way. All of them enjoyed my sad try at Chinese. I got offered a lot of alcohol and tabacco along the way. Crazy Chinese smoking and drinking while climbing a mountain. The best part are the older fellows that ask me if I want a Chinese girl girlfriend. The girls are sitting right there and they ask me which one I would like. Sleezy guys.
I'm headed back to Shanghai tonight. I'm not sure what I will do for the rest of my time here. I am probably going to come back to Utah mid June or end of June. There are really only two other places I really want to see, Beijing and Sichuan. Sichuan is where they filmed the lake fight scene in Hero. Everyone here claims it is the most beautiful area in China. Also, many Hmong people live in the surround provinces, so I will make my way over to stay with Chad and his Hmong friends for a bit.
I tried to post pictures but my camera is having issues. Lame.
17 May 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
looked up mt huashan on line. Says it takes courage and an adventeous spirit to make that climb. Way to go. Probably no problem for a rock climer. Hope to see your pictures when you get home then. Mom
Kyle is pretty much the coolest. I'm am such a wanna-be.
Post a Comment