02 February 2008

Per request of the Salmons in Canada I've decided to make another entry. Entry? Ryan and Jess were down this weekend. That was a nice surprise. Didn't think I'd be seeing them for a while now that they've become Canadians.
Not much to put here, other then to comment on how ridiculous the last post was. How ridiculous? Very. Although I am single once again... that's that.
I'm loving the classes I'm taking this semester.
Chinese - treating me pretty well. I feel like I can understand quite a bit, but when it comes to holding my own in a conversation I'm lacking still, a lot.
Asian Literary Traditions - this class focuses on three "literary traditions", one from India, one from China, and one from Japan. We've just finished reading the Ramayana retold by William Buck. I really enjoyed this a lot and would recommend it to everyone. It's got some amazing insight into some Indian traditions.
Modern Chinese History - loving this class too. It's a lot different from some of the history courses I've taken in the past. There are eight books to read throughout the course and each one focuses on different aspects of Chinese history in the past300 or so years. Not a lot of dates and facts, but more about how that history affected, and still affects, the Chinese people today. Good.

3 comments:

Ryan + Jess said...

thanks for the post. you are going to have to update more often then every 4 months now so we can stay updated on whats happening. and tell ian he needs a new post as well.

smellame said...

You are one smart fellow.

plugalong said...

That's my kind of history. I like more the experience and ideas from the past, not so good with dates and names...